Saturday, March 20, 2010

This is fun... and useful all in one.


It wasn't my idea, I'm sorry to say, but its a darn good idea and I hope you'll all have some fun with it.  FREE WANT ADS.

Apparently it began with a few student-types down in Little Rock Arkansas who were tired of reading one after another of 'prayer items' and 'Bible quotes' in the daily want ad section of the newspaper.  And taking an attitude of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em," they decided to send in a few of their own opinions... but theirs were freethought and atheist opinions.  The aim was to give the personal and announcement classified columns some better balance.  The result was that it caught on... Atheist "Mystery" posts started popping up and nobody knew who or where they were coming from. 

It reminded me of something I've discovered... you can't go into any community anywhere no matter how churchy it looks and expect it to be devoid of atheists.  We are!  And, we are everywhere. Now, even the personal ads and classifieds of the newspaper bares it out.

So have some fun... Post a free want ad or two.  Here's my latest: a Chapman Cohen quote, "Gods are Fragile things; they can be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."  Truer words have seldom been spoken, and now, perhaps gods can also be killed by a FREE WANT AD.
.
 .............................................................................
UPDATE:  Since posting this, I've elected to run a couple of ads in the paper and (funny thing) I received an email from a newspaper employee, the classified supervisor, about my ads.  Hmmm... I wonder if they do that for every FREE classified requested?  Here's the email:

Randall,  if we run your opinion ads they must state your name and city you are in.  

Do you wish to go ahead and place the ad?   Also we will only run one at a time.  

Thank the gods that you have reason and then realize by reason there
are no gods. 

Thank you,
Cathy Wiles

Classified Supervisor
479-571-6421
Was the purpose of this communication meant to dissuade me to fearfully change my opinion or to cower and keep my opinion tucked away in the dark of a closet?  I wonder... 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Join the best atheist themed blogroll!