Monday, May 31, 2010

Black atheism is beautiful...

I've been waiting a long time for this and its finally beginning to show up.  Members of the black community who, like me, stand for separation of church and state and profess atheism and Humanism are stepping up to speak out at gatherings and conferences.  Wow.  I love it.

I have a few black atheist friends - very few - but that's only because non-religious black people are so far and wide between.  If there is any single identity group in America that's drenched, totally, in religion any more than blacks, serve it up for lunch and I'll eat it along with my hat and yours.  Blacks (and it is so surprising when you consider how derided and repressed by religion their people have been throughout history) represent perhaps the smallest atheist group in all America... That couldn't last for ever, of course, and now it's finally beginning to change.  Whoopie...

Here's a treat.  NPR (National Public Radio) did a terrific interview featuring Jamila Bay (here's her blog).  Read the NPR interview yourself - read the whole thing. Interview

Tell me... are some days better than others, or is it just me.
.Black atheism is beautiful...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Join the best atheist themed blogroll!